Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Author Spotlight: Sandra Boynton


One of the first books given to our son was Snuggle Puppy by Sandra Boynton.  That was our introduction to a wonderful and quirky author that has become a family favorite.  Young toddlers can connect with Boynton's funny characters, simple rhyming text, and colorful illustrations.  Adults will appreciate the humor.  The amazing Ms. Boynton- author, illustrator, and composer- writes songs to accompany some of her books.  The songs are incredibly goofy and fun; we love "Barnyard Dance".  You can download several of her songs for free at: http://www.workman.com/boynton/.  "Personal Penguin" is one of my favorites; give it a listen.  We own seven Sandra Boynton books including: Snuggle Puppy; Barnyard Dance; Belly Button Book; Fifteen Animals; Hey! Wake Up! Blue Hat, Green Hat; and Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs.  Plus we've checked out many others from the library.  It's hard to choose a favorite, so I won't try.  These board books are a perfect way to share the joy of reading with a young child who has a short attention span.  Besides being entertaining, Boynton's books are also educational as they introduce: counting, colors, opposites, animal sounds, and much more.  It's sad, but our son who is three now, has sort of outgrown these books.  I'm looking forward to revisiting them with our daughter once we bring her home from China in a couple of months.

4 comments:

  1. They are awesome books for littles and adults alike. We used Night Night, Little Pookie as a goodnight book for quite a while. I love her as a children's author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ana! The day after I posted this, my son pulled out Snuggle Puppy and Barnyard Dance. He still likes hearing the stories, proved me wrong! It's great to find books that kids and parents can both enjoy over and over. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your post I had to check out this website. I loved all the songs and was laughing so hard after listening to some of them I had tears running down my cheeks. My husband was laughing as hard as I was at me! Thanks for sharing this Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lindsay! It's great to hear from you. I'm delighted that you enjoyed the songs. Boynton has a sense of humor like none other! Hey, I didn't know you had a blog! I'm checking it out now. ;)

    ReplyDelete