Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Day 7, When the Weather Outside is Frightful...

Well, I wasn't planning to post today.  However, we had so much fun inventing games this morning that I thought I'd share the ideas for all the moms with stir crazy kids.  Does your child (or children) get bored easily?  K sure does.   I think part of that is due to not having a sibling to play with yet.

After breakfast, K wanted to play chase.  It was 7:30 am and I was still waking up, and I didn't want to run anyway because I just ate.  (I am not a morning person!)  My husband and I were trying to chat but K wanted to do something active, so he asked daddy to play catch.  Dad was trying to drink his coffee, so no go on the game of catch.  I noticed a round laundry basket nearby and two balls, one large bouncy ball and one smaller nerf ball.  Wanting to stay in my chair and let my food digest, I invented a game to keep K occupied: laundry basketball.  At our direction, he pulled the basket to a safe place to throw things and then worked on his shooting skills.  We cheered from the sidelines, aka couch & chair.  Soon, he was passing a ball to Daddy (who was still sitting on the couch).  Then Mommy got a ball too (I was lounging in the chair across from the couch).  We all had a blast trying to get the balls into the laundry basket while the adults were still sitting.  My husband suggested using folded up socks instead; then it would truly be laundry basketball.  Sorry, no photos...I was too lazy to go get the camera!

Once the food had settled, K and I did play chase.  K pushed his shopping cart and I ran behind him trying to toss the nerf ball into the cart.  Later, the shopping cart became a stroller of sorts.  We crammed pillows into it and then K sat on the pillows.  I pushed him round and round the house, going faster and faster.  It was great exercise, and fun to pass on a game that I used to play as a child.  My Gram had a similar shopping cart which we used for all kinds of great entertainment like go cart races.

Ok moms it's your turn- please share in the comments some fun activities that keep your kids busy when the weather is too cold to go outside and play.  We also watched two videos today, so that's fine to share favorite dvds too!

No comments:

Post a Comment