Monday, December 6, 2010

Day 6, All I Really Want is Simplicity

As the adoption of our daughter is about to be completed in a few weeks, I have to confess that my heart isn't in to the usual Christmas traditions this year.  (It's rather ironic that I'm doing a 12 days of Christmas blog.)  We're going to be in Beijing on Christmas day!  I can hardly believe it!!  There will be no Christmas tree, or presents to unwrap, or special dinner with all the trimmings, no carols, or holiday classic movies.  It will just be my husband and me touring the capital city of China.  As far as I know, they don't celebrate Christmas there.  But, I'm ok with the break from tradition.  All I really want for Christmas is simplicity.

That's what I've wanted for years actually, especially the five years that I taught full time at a grade school.  One year I seriously thought about planning a vacation and going far away from the Christmas chaos.  December can get too crazy with all the extra activities and festivities going on.  So this year I am finally getting my wish for simplicity.  It's cool, and I'm really excited about it.  However, it's bittersweet because our son won't be traveling with us.  He'll be celebrating Christmas with his grandparents; a plan that we thought would be best for all of us.  Still, it won't be easy to be away from him, and each day that goes by I'm feeling the sting of it a bit more.

So with all that's going on in our household and the impending changes in our family, I've been very pensive.  Basically I'm doing a lot of soul searching.   I don't know if you have had similar ponderings about your holiday traditions.  Do you ever stop and ask yourself, "Why am I doing this?"  Recently I have just been longing to slow down, be still, and think about the first Christmas.  So this morning I just sat in the quiet (the few precious moments of it before K got up) and thought about the gift God gave us when He sent His son to earth.  Even if we never received another Christmas present, that One Gift would be enough.  However, God is so generous, that He continues to give us gifts above and beyond that first Christmas Gift.

This year, He has blessed us with a daughter.  There are no words to express the wonder of it.  The usual holiday festivities pale in comparison in my mind.  I am so completely overwhelmed by all that is unfolding in our lives right now.  Meanwhile, I'm trying to get things done here at home: packing suitcases, purchasing and wrapping gifts for family, scrambling to get our plane tickets, etc..  So I don't know that I'll continue to do 12 blogs as I'd originally planned.

If this is my last Christmas blog post, then I want to say, "Merry Christmas to you!"  Treasure the gifts that God has given you, especially your family.   I hope you will find time to savor some simplicity this year.

In spite of a the busy rush to get everything done before we head to China,
I am determined to find quiet moments to appreciate the gifts God has
given me.  One gift was fresh snow and a perfect leaf all alone.  
Ah, simplicity!  It's what my soul is longing for.


 

4 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel. Both my hubs and I know how you feel! We've been talking a lot about narrowing down our Christmas traditions to focus on the important things: Jesus and family. This year we made the decision for one big gift for the babes and books. That's it. One gift for each other. Lots of homemade gifts for others.

    When they get older, I think we might pull a John Grisham and plan to 'skip Christmas'. A trip somewhere. A time for just us and Jesus.

    Have a beautiful time over in China! I hope the Christmas spirit lingers in your heart long and sweetly, especially as you receive the greatest gift in December...a daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ana, beautifully stated! Thank you so much for your comments. My husband and I also got one gift for each other this year. Also in the spirit of simplicity, our family drew names; it has been wonderful to not have a long list of people to find the "perfect gift" for. Homemade gifts are always the best, in my mind. What sort of items did you make this year? (If you can share without giving away the surprise for those who might receive them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We drew names too with my husband's family! It does make it a lot easier and more financially able :) This year we really focused on the homemade aspect of gifts.

    We're making a kids cookbook for my little sister-in-laws (ages 5 and 3), and a "We Love You, O Ju-Ju" book for my brother who is stationed in Hawaii. It will have pictures of both my boys and my other brother's daughter. He might not be able to make it home for Christmas, so it will be an extra special gift from us all to him.

    I found a "you scrap" calendar from Michaels for a dollar--just add your pics to the pre-laid out spots--and it will be perfect for my Mom.

    And lastly, my Dad is a potter and Isaac made a heart for his O Timmy and Auntie Heather. I found a vintage looking picture frame from a garage sale, painted a background, and hot glued the pottery heart in the middle. My brother and sister-in-law just moved into a new place on Maui, so it's kind of going to be a housewarming/I love you/Merry Christmas gift from Isaac to them.

    It's been fun putting them all together, and Isaac is really getting into it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Ana! How did you find the time to make all of those wonderful gifts and take care of two little ones? You have great ideas. I'm sure the recipients will be so blessed by your thoughtful presents.

    My favorite gifts to give are always the ones I made by hand. One year I did an oil painting for my dad. My husband made a frame for it. I'll never forget my dad's reaction as he received the gift we'd made. I think everybody was in tears. It sounds silly and sentimental, but it is a precious memory!

    This year I started making things early and tucking them away just in case we got our referral and traveled at Christmas. I'm so glad I did! Since my family reads this, I can't reveal what I made. :)

    ReplyDelete