Saturday, May 14, 2011

Illustrator spotlight: Christopher Denise

We've all heard the saying, "Don't judge a book by its cover," but honestly we all judge books by their covers.  When I'm at the library- especially if I have my kids with me- I grab whatever looks good.  When we get home, we find out whether it's a good story or not.  One book I saw on display this week was: Oliver Finds His Way.  The little bear on the front was so adorable that I quickly added the book to my growing stack to check out.  Once I sat down to read it later that day, I was enchanted.  The story was sweet and easy to read, but the pictures made the tale come to life.  So, I looked up the illustrator and checked out a bunch of books that he's illustrated.  Here are my three favorite stories he's illustrated...

Oliver Finds His Way by Phyllis Root- Illustrated by Christopher Denise
Oliver gets lost in the woods and figures out how to find his
way back to Mama & Papa.  Sweet story, adorable pictures.
Pigs Love Potatoes by Anika Denise- Illustrated by Christopher Denise
Husband & wife collaborate to create a funny story about a hungry
family.  More & more pigs show up all hoping for a tasty meal.
It's a counting book, but so much more interesting than one to ten.
If I Could: A Mother's Promise by Susan Milord- Illustrated by Christopher Denise
Pull out the Kleenex!  This book gets me every time.  The text
is actually brief, more like a poem.  The little raccoon in his
pjs clutching his blanket & bunny will melt your heart!
Do you have a favorite illustrator?  Share yours in the comments section.










No comments:

Post a Comment