Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Do you have a good read to suggest?

I'm still here!  Preparing for and then hosting Thanksgiving took a lot of time and energy, so I've not had motivation to blog in a while.  However, tomorrow is December 1st, and I'm going to try and post something every day for 12 days.  We still don't know when we are traveling to China, so this will be a great diversion for me as I'm liable to go a bit nuts waiting to find out our travel dates.

Anybody read a good novel lately?  With the holidays' busy hustle and bustle, and the prolonged wait to meet our daughter, I'm finding that I need to be more intentional about stress management.  Often, I'll read while K is taking a nap as a way to unwind.  Lately I haven't been able to find a good book to read, so I thought I'd ask my fellow moms for some suggestions.  What do you like to read?  Please leave a comment about your favorite author or book. What genres do you enjoy the most?  I prefer historical fiction, mysteries, and biographies.

A series that I've really enjoyed reading is Red River of the North by Lauraine Snelling.  It's followed by three more series about the same people: Return to Red RiverDaughters of Blessing, and Home to Blessing.  These novels follow the lives of several families that immigrate to the states in the mid 1800s.  If you enjoyed Little House on the Prairie when you were a girl, then you'd probably like these stories.  I began reading these books when my grandma was still living.  She had lost her ability to speak after a stroke.  Her mobility continued to degenerate, so mostly she spent her days sitting.  She lived several hours away from me, so I found that sending her books was a way I could show her I cared.  I sent her each book in all three series and would check the same book out at the library.  That way, we could read the books together and then have something to talk about in our letters.  She passed away before the fourth series came out, but I'm still reading it as the books are published.  It's a special way to remember my Gram and feel a bit connected to her.  Here's the author's website if you'd like more details on the books: http://www.laurainesnelling.com/html/adultfiction.html

Book 1 in the Red River of the North Series

4 comments:

  1. Hey! I just finished a book called the Silent Governess by Julie Klassen (or Classen, I'm not sure) and it was pretty good. Old England, there was a tiny bit of mystery and the story captured me. It was fun to read a book again, cause I haven't been doing too much since Haley was born. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm going to request it from the library right away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always been a fan of Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti, but if you're interested in historical fiction, Killer Angels by Michael Shaara is beautifully written for a Civil War novel.

    Also, there is a cute, light mystery series by Lillian Jackson Braun about a cat who helps a journalist solve murders. The first book in the series is "The Cat Who Read Backwards". What I love about her is that she's a clean writer--pretty rare for a mainstream author!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ana! I really enjoyed Ted Dekker's trilogy: Black, Red, White. I'm sure you've read those. If not, great books! Haven't read Frank Peretti in a long time, have you read any of his more recent work?

    I'll definitely check out the "Cat Who" books. They're just what I'm looking for, light and fun reading. My parents love this series and check out the books on cd to listen to on long car trips. I hadn't thought to actually read the books. Duh! I do enjoy reading about the Civil War, so I'll put the other suggestion on my list too. Thanks so much!

    Congratulations on your new little one!

    ReplyDelete