Monday, November 7, 2011

Preschool at Home: Finger Painting

I discovered a great resource for doing preschool at home.  It's a book called: Slow and Steady Get Me Ready by June R. Oberlander.  It suggests age appropriate activities for each week of your child's life from birth to age 5.  I decided to try out the activity listed for M's age (almost 21 months old).  Personally, I'd never offer my less than two year old paint, but if the book said they could handle it then I was willing to give it a try.  My sister was visiting, so each kid had an adult nearby to keep things from going crazy.  I cut up some celery, carrots, and apples so we could use them for making prints on paper.  Eventually, it turned into finger painting and we got quite messy.  But everybody had fun and M actually enjoyed it the most.  She's quite the little artist!  

Our lovely Miss M jumped right in and started stamping away like a pro.  


Our little group: K (in Daddy's old shirt), Auntie, Miss M, and Mommy.


Celery seemed to work the best for little hands and made neat designs.


Big Brother K refused to smile while Daddy took pictures of our happy group.
Auntie knew how to make Mr. K smile though!  No faces were actually
painted in the the making of this smile.  :) 

3 comments:

  1. We did something similar with just apples...my hub's said they look like little baby tushies. lol! I should use different fruits and veggies though--celery sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your post, and cracked up at your husband's comment! Actually, seeing your boys happily painting gave me the courage to try it with my kiddos. I got the apple idea from you blog--Thank you! The book recommended a variety of veggies, next time we might try broccoli. We had a tough time getting the star in the apple's center to show up. It just sort of globbed up. Maybe we needed less paint??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Broccoli would be so much fun!! I am so glad you gave it whirl-paint is scary with babes, but it can result in some pretty pictures and some adorable memories :)

    ReplyDelete