Saturday, September 4, 2010

A great read: Bubble Trouble

Our favorite book this week: Bubble Trouble 
Thursday we made another (desperate) trip to the library.  I was so tired of the same three books we'd found last week.   They were great, by the way: Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.,  Larabee and Flying  both by Kevin Luthardt.  Those books deserve their own post, but I'm running low on time today.  Anyway, we found a whole pile of new books to check out.  This one is our family favorite... Bubble Trouble by Margaret Mahy.  It is a crazy tongue twisting story that entertains almost all ages.  The story begins, "Little Mabel blew a bubble, and it caused a lot of trouble... Such a lot of bubble trouble in a bibble-bobble way."  There are some fantastic words in the story that college bound seniors should know for the SAT like: cavil, grovel, grapple, nefarious, and divested.  Even with all the fancy vocabulary, K loves this book and requests it morning, noon, and night.  If you have a favorite children's book please share it in the comments as we are always in need of a new book to read.  Thanks!

Our son is going to have an amazing vocabulary thanks to Ms. Mahy!





4 comments:

  1. We'll have to check that one out! I always really enjoyed Where the Wild things are by Maurice Sendak. (So much that my parents got it for me for my 21st birthday!)
    Right now, I'm reading the Original Peter Rabbit Books by Beatrix Potter to Arabella. They have bright colors which she loves and I enjoy the stories. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, thanks for the great suggestions! We'll be heading back to the library soon. That's awesome that you are already reading to Arabella. We just found out that M likes picture books. Awesome!! She'll totally fit in with our family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been going to the library and getting books for Haley. I mostly choose board books that have pictures and not a lot of story, but I usually get one storybook. This last time I got a story titled Hop! Plop! by Corey Rosen Schwartz & Tali Klein. It is so cute! I thought K would really enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. K loves Hop! Plop! It is a sweet story about friendship and problem solving. There's also some great humor in it. We found some great books this week: Dog Wants to Play by Christine McDonnell (simple text, love the pictures), Hush Little Polar Bear by Jeff Mack (illustrated Dog Wants to Play), and A Gaggle of Geese & a Clutter of Cats (hilarious pictures and rhyme) by Dandi Daley Mackall. Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete