Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Room makeover in progress...


I went to Home Depot for some inspiration for K's room.  I saw a mural of a sky and hills.  It seemed doable.  I brought home a bunch of color swatches in blue and we picked one that the whole family liked.  I have plenty of green paint from other projects, so I raided my paint stash for the hills.  Then it was time to dive in!  I've never done a mural before, so I'm making it up as I go along.  It's taking up more time than I expected, but it's been fun.  Sometimes I feel a bit overwhelmed, and not sure it's going to look good.  But, the more layers I've added, the better it is looking.  I might stop with one wall, and not do the whole room like I originally planned, as it is time consuming.   Eventually, the plan is to paint an airplane and clouds in the sky.  I'm waiting to get an overhead projector to help draw the airplane.  Here's what I have done so far.  (If you'd like details on paint colors, please leave me a comment and I'll hunt down all the names and brands for you.)


I started with a light sage green wall.  I drew hills with pencil about a third of the way up from the floor.

Next I painted the wall with blue paint down to the pencil marks.  

Then I used acrylic craft paint & a small brush to outline the hills.  The hills were too flat so I hunted for some green glaze in my paint stash.  

I used two different colors of green paint mixed with glaze to give the hills added texture.
I blended the dabs  together with the Woolie.
(The Woolie is a tool sold at Home Depot, at least they did nine years ago!)

Now the hills are really starting to come alive.  You have to work fast as the glaze dries quickly.

Done!  If you find spots that need more glaze, wait till it's dry and dab and woolie it on.  If you do it while it's still tacky wet, you'll just remove the color that's already on the wall.  I learned this the hard way.  Also, I had to repaint the outline of the hills once the glazing was done.










2 comments:

  1. Very nice, Amy! I love the Woolie & have done many projects with it. You can make some really nice, puffy clouds with it, too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Berta. Actually, I learned about the Woolie from you! Remember when we visited you at Thanksgiving long ago? I am planning to do some clouds too, but I've hit a wall- ha!- and had no motivation to get this project done.

    ReplyDelete