Thursday, April 19, 2012

Book Club: Kisses from Katie

Want to read along?  I've been waiting for this book -Kisses from Katie- for a few months.  What a sweet surprise to find it on the hold shelf at the library today.  Usually I don't even try to read when the kids are awake.  However, I couldn't wait till bedtime to start reading this one, so I read (somewhat successfully) in the midst of the kid chaos.  This is a book that is going to challenge me, but in a good way.  It's about a young lady who visited Uganda for a three week missions trip during her senior year in high school.  After she graduated from high school, she returned to Uganda planning to stay for a year and teach at an orphanage.  A year turned into years and now she's adopted over a dozen girls and continues to do what she can to help the people around her.   If you have read it, or decide to read with me, please let me know!  I had so many great responses (via comments, email, or in person) from the last book, Choosing to SEE by Mary Beth Chapman.  I love hearing from you all and finding out your perspective on the books I'm reading.



2 comments:

  1. Just finished it. Not sure how I feel, mostly terribly inadequate and discouraged...but amazed at her story and what she is trying to do with her life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can identify with your initial feelings upon finishing the book. I've had more time to process and ponder what I read since I finished the book in three days! Overall, it's had a positive impact on my life. Interestingly, I was encouraged by her story as she often shared that she too felt inadequate and daily leaned on God to give her the strength to do what she's doing. I've found myself thinking that if Katie Davis can do all those amazing things, then I can do whatever task seems daunting to me with God's help. But, I have also felt that I need to be helping others more. Where she's at the needs are mostly obvious, but here people mask their problems and don't readily accept help. So it's been easy for me to cruise along and focus on my own little world and not reach out to help others. Hopefully this book is nudging me out of my comfort zone to help others more. The other thought I've been processing is the concept of abundance vs. lack. We are surrounded with so much here, and yet we often lack joy. I found myself envious of how joyful Katie seems to be about every day life. After reading her book, I've wanted to get rid of lots of stuff! And I am trying to be more grateful and working to instill that in our kids as well.
    Thanks for your comment, Katie. Hopefully the overall message in the book will encourage you in time.

    ReplyDelete