Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Friendship Day

Friendship Day by Nancy Parent...my kids love it, I don't know why.

My kids have a book that they love to hear over and over again.  Friendship Day is about Winnie the Pooh and all his pals.  From my perspective, it's sort of an insipid little story but my kiddos think it's awesome!  So, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of it.  We were trying a new recipe at dinner tonight.  It was called Hobo Stew, but I told the kids it was "Friendship Stew" just like Rabbit was making in the story.  They bought it, and ate the stew without complaint.  But that's not the point of this post.

The weekend before Valentine's Day, I invited my friend and her two little ones to come over for an early Valentine's party.  As the kids and I prepared for their friends' arrival, we decided to dub the party "Friendship Day" just like the above mentioned story.  Then, the day took on a whole new meaning and we had a great time copying one of our favorite books.  It went off so well, I wanted to share the idea with other moms.  Maybe this book won't resonate with your kids, but find a favorite story and make it come to life.  It's a blast!


In the book, Piglet makes his friendliest "haycorn" cookies.  We made heart shaped sugar cookies and everybody got their own cup of frosting.  We also had sprinkles in a variety of colors for them to choose from.  In the book, Owl reads stories about friendship during their celebration.  So, while we happily munched on our cookies, my friend Brittany read Friendship Day to everyone.  (She is a preschool teacher and was right at home reading to our little group.)  After the story, I had a surprise for everyone...newspaper hats, just like the ones Christopher Robin gave to his friends.  We had some fun with the hats for a while, then we turned on some music and danced.  (We had to do something to channel the hyperness brought on by all the sugar they'd just consumed.)

Here are some pictures of our very first, but definitely not the last, Friendship Day.


Little Miss M, friend Miss A and her mom, Brittany


K and Mommy having fun frosting our sugar cookies.

K's buddy, G, is fastidiously frosting his cookie.  Good work!


That's a whole lot of cookie for such a little lady!

K feels proud about frosting his own cookie for the first time. 



Moms and daughters...picture taken by Mr K.

Everybody dancing after consuming large quantities of sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment