Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Sandwich, and What I Learned from It...

This is not "THE Sandwich" but this is what it looked like.
I learned something new about myself around lunch time yesterday: I don't cry over spilt milk, but I do cry over spit on sandwiches.  Here's what happened...

I was making my kids lunch yesterday.  I decided to make them special pb&j sandwiches with the fancy Pampered Chef sandwich maker.  It turns ordinary sandwiches into round ones with no crust and sealed edges.  I was excited to see my son's reaction when he saw his cool sandwich.  I handed him the plate and bent down to his level to explain how I'd made him a really neat sandwich for lunch.  He responded by blowing on it; sort of like someone would blow out a candle on a cake.  It wasn't at all what I thought he'd do, and it actually hurt my feelings.  First I was mad and sent him to time-out while I cooled off.  Then, as the realization of what had happened set in...I cried! Earlier in the day, I'd been feeling in need of a bit of thanks for all my hard work that I do every day.  Some days I guess we just need a pat on the back and a "good job, Mom" from our families.  When my son more or less rejected my efforts to do something nice for him, it was like a slap in the face rather than the thanks I was hoping for.  After I dried my tears, I thought about my mom and all the wonderful meals she'd made for me over the years.  I decided to thank her.  Tomorrow she's coming to visit me, and I will thank her for all the fabulous food she's prepared for me over the years, and I'll tell her, "Good job, Mom!"

For the record, my son did apologize for spitting (his words) on his sandwich and he ate every bite of his fancy pb&j.  He truly is a sweet boy and hugged me when he saw my tears.

To all my mom friends, "Good job!"  You do a lot for your family that goes unnoticed, but your Heavenly Father notices and He's proud of you.


2 comments:

  1. Aaah! I'm so sorry! I know how you feel. It is funny how the littlest things they do can set us off. The other day I was rocking Haley before her nap, something we do everyday, & she was resisting me like none other. They are so strong and she actually hurt me when she pushed away. I had the same reaction as you, at first I was mad, then I felt like I wanted to cry. My baby hurt me (I know she didn't do it intentionally, but still). These kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've realized that you don't know what you're really made of until you are a parent. It is the truest test of character!

    ReplyDelete